[dpdk-users] Current CONFIG_RTE_MAX_MEMSEG=256 is not enough

Cliff Burdick shaklee3 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 16:50:23 CEST 2016

Hi, I have a DPDK application that I allocate 2048 2MB hugepages on
startup, and everything works for a while. However, if I clean my code and
run the application again, on occasion, I get the following error:

Current CONFIG_RTE_MAX_MEMSEG=256 is not enough

Please either increase it or request less amount of memory.

PANIC in rte_eal_init():

Cannot init memory

8: [app() [0x412f4b]]

7: [/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf5)
[0x7fa65918df45]]

6: [app() [0x4122b9]]

5: [app() [0x57494e]]

4: [app() [0x565c3f]]

3: [app() [0x457163]]

2: [app() [0x40af2f]]

1: [app() [0x4512ba]]

I know I can increase this parameter in the DPDK config, but I'm not sure
why that's the solution and that it runs fine for so long until hitting
this. Should I just increase that, or is there another issue at play?