[dpdk-users] TimeStamping Packets Generated and Received via Pktgen Application

Ajinkya D Kadam ajinkya.kadam at nyu.edu
Mon Oct 17 00:33:54 CEST 2016

Hi All,

I am newbie to DPDK, and pkt-gen traffic generator.  I am doing performance
testing and I care about  precise timestamps for each packet received and
sent out a port.

I see that there is a solution developed here [1]. However it gives about
100ns seconds of precision . My first question is,  can we achieve more
precision ??

If yes I would like to modify the pktgen code so that each transmitting and
received packet is timestamped.  Right now I am exploring the example
applications  like rxtx_callbacks which timestamps packets in DPDK, Is this
the right direction to go ?

i would highly appreciate any guidance.

Thanks all for your time and help.

[1] https://github.com/hpcn-uam/iDPDK-Speedometer/tree/release/src