[dpdk-users] OpenVSwitch with DPDK causes pmd segfault

Wojciechowicz, RobertX robertx.wojciechowicz at intel.com
Mon Sep 12 11:30:53 CEST 2016

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 06:53:05PM +0300, Sergey Matov wrote:
> Hello dear community.
>
> I've faced unexpected segmentation fault running Open vSwitch with DPDK
> using OpenStack.
>
> On the Ubuntu 14.04 with 3.13 kernel we are having Open vSwitch ml2 neutron
> accelerated with DPDK. Running VM with 3 interfaces and vCPU pinning goes
> ok. VM got all pings and SSH successfully.
>
> Host related configuration:
>
> Hugepages:
> HugePages_Total:   39552
> HugePages_Free:    31360
> HugePages_Rsvd:        0
> HugePages_Surp:        0
> Hugepagesize:       2048 kB
>
> NUMA topology:
> root at node-1:~# lscpu | grep NUMA
> NUMA node(s):          4
> NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-4,20-24
> NUMA node1 CPU(s):     5-9,25-29
> NUMA node2 CPU(s):     10-14,30-34
> NUMA node3 CPU(s):     15-19,35-39
>
> OpenStack release: stable/Mitaka
> OVS version: 2.4.1 (bit patched for DPDK 2.1 support)
> DPDK: 2.1
> QEMU: 2.3
> Libvirt: 1.2.9.3

just for the record in case somebody else faced this issue.
I discussed that with Sergey and the conclusion looks as follows:

"""
I've discovered that the actual behavior, it's described here:
http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-July/043104.html.
So I just updated packages and it works fine for me.
Now I am running dpdk 16.07 with ovs 2.5, qemu 2.5 and lbvirt 1.3.1.
Seems problem is gone.
"""

Br,
Robert