[dpdk-users] Packet drop when using KNI sample application

Amit Sharma amit.sh1094 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 09:59:43 CEST 2016

Hi,

While running the DPDK KNI sample application, we are facing packet drop
after some time.

*Setup:-*
1. 2 VMs configured using Ubuntu 14.04
2. eth0 of both VMs connected to each other, and able to ping

*DPDK related setup:-*
1. 1st VM eth0 is bound with DPDK driver[bind=uio_pci_generic]
2. Insert the KNI module in Linux kernel[insmod rte_kni.ko].
3. Start the KNI application [*./build/kni -c 0x3 -n 4 -- -P -p 0x1
--config="(0,0,1)"*].
4. Assign the ip address to vEth0 [*ifconfig vEth0 10.0.1.2*]
5. start the tcpdump on vEth0
6. From 2nd VM try to ping 8.8.8.8

*Issue:- *
ping works fine for around 400-500 packets(we reserved 2000 2MB hugepages).
after that ping packet is never sent back to VM2
on further investigation we found *rte_eth_tx_burst *always returns 0 when
the problem occurs
we are investigating it further, But before that any help is welcome

on the side note, we have another issue with log levels, to investigate the
above issue we were trying to enable the logs for PMD
using the following code

rte_set_log_type(RTE_LOGTYPE_PMD, 1);

rte_set_log_level(RTE_LOG_DEBUG);

during initialization we see some logs from PMD, But after that no logs
during receive and transmission of packets, any idea why is that?

Thanks
Amit Sharma