[dpdk-users] rte_eth_tx_burst not freeing mbufs

Cliff Burdick shaklee3 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 23:06:38 CEST 2017

Hi, I have an application where I'm sending a very low rate (1pps) to
certain ports just for gratuitous arp. I allocate a pktmbuf on a different
core, send it through a ring to my tx core thread, and
use rte_eth_tx_burst() to send that packet, and hopefully free. I've
noticed that even though the packets are sent, the driver is never freeing
the packets back to the mempool, which just throws errors when I try to
allocate another one. I've tried playing with tx_conf.tx_free_thresh, but
that didn't seem to have any effect. If I called rte_pktmbuf_free() right
after sending, it appears to free just fine, although that's not a
solution. Does anyone know what might cause this?