[dpdk-users] a packet generator with traffic flow support

Alex Kiselev kiselev99 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 19:53:39 CET 2017

Hi!

I am working on some stress tests for my packet forwarding engine
and trying to figure out which packet generator tool can help me
to accomplish my tasks with minimum efforts from me. What I need is something
like PktGen but with a kind of traffic flow/session support.
The flow/session in my case is a traffic flow with the following properties:
 - QinQ vids, src ip, dst ip etc
 - time to live

In addition, it would ideal if a tool could support defining pps rate of each
flow or just a total pps of all flows.

So, a packet generator should be able to start in parallel some number
of flows, then it should replace completed sessions whose ttl is
expired with new
ones until the goal (the given number of sessions or the given number
of packets)
is complete.

Maybe Warp17 is more close to the kind of tool that I need in terms of
flow support, but I don't need tcp/udp flows and I need a way to
define L2 packet headers.

Is it possible to code the flow logic that I need using PktGen
scripting language?

I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Kiselev Alexander