[dpdk-users] a packet generator with traffic flow support

Alex Kiselev kiselev99 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 22:38:57 CET 2017

>> On Feb 20, 2017, at 12:53 PM, Alex Kiselev <kiselev99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am working on some stress tests for my packet forwarding engine
>> and trying to figure out which packet generator tool can help me
>> to accomplish my tasks with minimum efforts from me. What I need is something
>> like PktGen but with a kind of traffic flow/session support.
>> The flow/session in my case is a traffic flow with the following properties:
>> - QinQ vids, src ip, dst ip etc
>> - time to live
>>
>> In addition, it would ideal if a tool could support defining pps rate of each
>> flow or just a total pps of all flows.
>>
>> So, a packet generator should be able to start in parallel some number
>> of flows, then it should replace completed sessions whose ttl is
>> expired with new
>> ones until the goal (the given number of sessions or the given number
>> of packets)
>> is complete.
>>
>> Maybe Warp17 is more close to the kind of tool that I need in terms of
>> flow support, but I don't need tcp/udp flows and I need a way to
>> define L2 packet headers.
>>
>> Is it possible to code the flow logic that I need using PktGen
>> scripting language?
>
> The tool pktgen-dpdk does some of the items you want, but not all. Have you looked a the different modes pktgen-dpdk can handle like pcap or range support?

Yes, I've tried all pktgen modes.

> Also T-Rex traffic generator may have some of the features you are looking as it is a bit more programable using Python.
Thank you. I will take a look at it.

  Pktgen Lua scripting is really used to control Pktgen and not
generate packets on the fly. Pktgen has a number of modes single,
range, random, PCAP, sequence, which could be used with an external
switch to merge the different TX options to a single target. I assume
using an external switch maybe not work very well here.

>> I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> Kiselev Alexander