[dpdk-users] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request, DPDK

Sushil Adhikari sushil446 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 23:54:29 CET 2017

I am trying to run the kni sample application from dpdk, so I did the
following steps:

   1. Compiled the program
   2. Allocated 256 hugepages
   3. Unbinded the ethernet port from the ixgbe driver and binded them to
   the igb_uio driver

When I tried to run the program, it crashed, with the following error:

BUG: Unable to handle kernel paging request at xxxxxxx

So I tried to find the line which causes the crash. I narrowed it down to
line 260:

num = rte_kni_tx_burst(p->kni[i], pkts_burst, nb_rx);

Which is part of function kni_ingress.

It looks like it crashes when doing fifo read/write, but I'm not sure why.
Any idea on what could be wrong or any suggestion would be appreciated!