[dpdk-users] RTE RSS configuration

Stokes, Ian ian.stokes at intel.com
Thu Jul 13 10:56:31 CEST 2017

Adding Ciara to the thread.

Ian

From: Darrell Ball [mailto:dball at vmware.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 10:55 PM
To: users at dpdk.org
Cc: Kavanagh, Mark B <mark.b.kavanagh at intel.com>; Stokes, Ian <ian.stokes at intel.com>; Kevin Traynor <ktraynor at redhat.com>; O Mahony, Billy <billy.o.mahony at intel.com>; Chandran, Sugesh <sugesh.chandran at intel.com>; Bodireddy, Bhanuprakash <bhanuprakash.bodireddy at intel.com>
Subject: RTE RSS configuration

Hi

OVS-DPDK uses a RTE RSS hash configuration of
ETH_RSS_IP | ETH_RSS_UDP | ETH_RSS_TCP

I want to get an idea of expected guarantees of bounds of behavior if any.

I am trying to understand the lower bound of fields that could go into the RSS hash.
For example, could the RSS hash just be based on L3 (ipv4 or ipv6) as best effort and the
RSS valid flag be still set to true ?
Or, is it guaranteed that if L4 fields are not supported that the RSS valid flag will be false ?

On the flip side could we be getting something else included as well like L2 fields
(DA and SA, for example) implicitly ?