[dpdk-users] vxlan on dpdk

Pravin pravin.p at altencalsoftlabs.com
Mon Jun 5 09:08:14 CEST 2017

Hi Team,
I have a query in ovs-vxlan testing over dpdk.

In normal ovs-vxlan + linux datapath,
/ovs-vsctl add-br br1//
//ovs-vsctl add-port br1 <vxlan_name> -- set interface vx1 type=vxlan
Above are the commands we use to configure vxlan.
So this configuration uses,
(https://github.com/dlundquist/kernel-bridge-and-vxlan) vxlan.ko to
process the tunnelling, ie, encapsulation and decapsulation.

In ovs-vxlan + dpdk datapath,
/ovs-vsctl add-br br1 -- set bridge br1 datapath_type=netdev//
//ovs-vsctl add-port br1 <vxlan_name> -- set interface vx1 type=vxlan
I am using above commands to configure vxlan.
Looks like this vxlan configuration is also going to use vxlan.ko of
linux kernel. This is my understanding.
My objective here is, I want dpdk to handle all vxlan related operations.

If this is right, how can we create vxlan port inside dpdk, without
using linux kernel's module.
Let dpdk handle my encapsulation and decapsulation. Is this possible? Or
is this concept totally wrong?
As in, can we specify some column for vxlan interface to say that dpdk
has to be used, just like 'datapath_type' is used for creating dpdk bridge.

If my understanding is wrong, i.e, the second set of commands doesn't
use vxlan linux-kernel module, then please correct me.

It would be of great help, if someone provide pointers on this.
Please forgive if this question sounds silly. I have just started to learn.
Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Pravin P