[dpdk-users] Using DPDK with a pre-existing C++ application compiled in Eclipse.

terry.montague.1980 at btinternet.com terry.montague.1980 at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 20 16:47:07 CEST 2017

Hi there,
Please excuse what to some may appear to be an stupid question.
I'm trying to use DPDK with an existing C++ application on Linux, using Eclipse Neon.2 as the IDE due to the use of a lot of 3rd party libraries. I'm not using the DPDK build process with the .mk makefiles. I'm just linking to the prebuilt rte_ libs.
I have got the project to compile, but when running rte_eal_init() with some suitable arguments that I know to be good in a simple standalone application, the PMDs appear to be absent, so the app cannot probe any PCI devices.
Is there any way this approach is going to work, or do applications that use DPDK have to be compiled as per the example applications with rte.vars.mk/rte.extapp.mk ?
Thanks in advance.
Terry