[dpdk-users] QoS scheduler with small number of queues

Jesus JM jesusjm7br at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 18:02:36 CEST 2017

Hi there,

I am trying to reuse the QoS scheduler sample application with some
modifications in my project. My intention was to have a DPDK based router
with QoS that marks some packets of the traffic I inject in one of the
ports.

In my scenario, I have a small number of subscribers. I saw in the profile
configuration file of the sample that it uses 4096 pipes, each of one
representing one user/subscriber. Also I read in the section 23.2.5 of the
programmer's guide the following:

"The port scheduler performance is optimized for a large number of queues.
If the number of queues is small, then the performance of the port
scheduler for the same level of active traffic is expected to be worse than
the performance of a small set of message passing queues."

In my case, if I have, let's say, 5-10 subscribers, does that mean that I
have to discard the QoS scheduler block and develop a customized one using
message passing queues? Or can I use the scheduler with a large number of
pipes configured, even if I use a very small set of them?

Thanks in advance.

Jesus