[dpdk-users] OVS vs OVS-DPDK

Avi Cohen (A) avi.cohen at huawei.com
Wed May 24 15:51:36 CEST 2017

Thanks Keith for your reply

I found out that the bottleneck are the VMs and not the OVS/OVS-DPDK  running in the host.
VMs  on both setup are unaware to OVS/OVS-DPDK  and use their linux IP-stack.
I found that the performance (e.g. throughput) between  VMa - OVS-DPDK  - network - OVS-DPDK - VMb  is much better than with  standard OVS.

I use vhost-user virtio for the OVS-DPDK setup to connect to VM ,  and vhost-net for the standard OVS

The  reasons for  standard OVS poor performance can be for example:

1. number of packet copies in the path NIC - OVS - OS-guest-virtio - Application on guest

2. interrupt upon receiving a packet

3. # of context-switch / VM-exit
etc..

I didn't see any info regarding these potential reasons on the docs.

Best Regards
avi