[dpdk-users] virtio doesn't work on some virtual machines

Dirk-Holger Lenz dirk.lenz at ng4t.com
Mon Sep 4 10:36:26 CEST 2017

After we fixed a second problem with virtio we didn't see the described
behaviour anymore. We will tell you when it occurs again.

To the second problem:
Our application dynamically opens and closes ethernet ports on request.
This means it calls rte_eth_dev_configure(), rte_eth_tx_queue_setup(),
rte_eth_rx_queue_setup(), rte_eth_dev_start and (later) rte_eth_dev_stop()
in a sequence when it opens an ethernet port and closes it again.
For virtio the rte_eth_rx_queue_setup() doesn't take a new buffer pool
when it already has one. Beside this the buffers taken from the rx side
are also not freed.
Our work around it to call rte_eth_dev_close() and eth_virtio_dev_init()
for the case that the port works on virtio.

Best regards
Dirk