[dpdk-users] Newbie query: DPDK use case scenario

amit mehta gmate.amit at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 22:45:44 CEST 2017

Hello,

I work at a platform team in a Software Company. Our group
is responsible for providing and maintaining middleware software
for our applications team.

We have Linux boxes (x86_64 machines running Linux) and have DPDK
supported Intel NIC cards (I had a quick look at the DPDK website
and fortunately, we have such NICs in our Linux boxes).

I am fairly new to the entire fast network packet processing domain,
hence, I'm wondering :

1: if DPDK is something that our team can utilize for providing a
faster networking platform, which the applications team (say teams
that use standard unix networking interface to develop software)
can use ? or DPDK is relevant mostly for companies that build Core
Networking Hardware and Software products ?

2: If mine is indeed a valid use case for DPDK usage, then how
big could be the impact on the existing software ?

Thank you for your help.

Thanks,
Amit

--
Sent from Bahamas, while drinking chi-chi and piña colada.