[dpdk-users] About XEON-D SRIOV and DPDK support

Eduardo Jacob Eduardo.Jacob at ehu.eus
Tue Sep 26 14:03:06 CEST 2017

Hello

Sorry for bandwidth... We have been playing with E5-2690 and DPDK on some experiments and we would like to use them in smaller form factor (XEON-D based) servers. I thought I would be able to get a clear view of the situation, but after googling some time I have not been able to get confident about the status of the XEON-D SRIOV and DPDK support in particular for the XEON D-1528.

If somebody doesn't know, these SOCs have 6 cores, 2x10Gbps and 2x1Gbps and support up 128Gb.

I have not been able to conclude if:

a) the 10Gbps (x552?) interfaces support SRIOV and DPDK

b) the 1Gbps (i350-AM2?) interfaces support SRIOV and DPDK

On particular caveat is if all the same numbered SOCs are equal (in terms of SRIOV and DPDK support) or for integrated devices, like NICs, the motherboard manufacturer is able to make this available (BIOS support). This would mean that there is no clear answer knowing only the XEON-D part number and I should contact the manufacturer.

This chip is "old" (2 years) and there are other newer. I wonder, if the SRIOV and DPDK support in this specific chip is unavailable or flaky, there are new SOCs that improve the situation.

Best regards and sorry again if the question is not deemed appropriate.

Eduardo