[dpdk-users] rte_eal_devargs_add fails in case of CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB=y

Gaëtan Rivet gaetan.rivet at 6wind.com
Wed Mar 14 14:24:50 CET 2018

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 10:47:46AM +0000, Martin Trommer wrote:
> Hi DPDK users,
>
> if I call "rte_eal_devargs_add" I will get 'ERROR: failed to parse device "0000:d8:00.0"'. I build DPDK 17.11 with the 'CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB=y' option.
>
> The issue not occurred with DPDK 16.11.

Have you tested it in DPDK 17.05? The rte_devargs library changed in
this release.

> Any hints how to handle that ?

When do you call rte_eal_devargs_add? This function will ask each
registered bus to parse its input. If no bus is able to do so, then it
will print this error and abort.

So, considering that you build with SHARED=y: is the PCI bus compiled,
and is the resulting library available in the proper directory? Are you
sure it is loaded before you attempt to add this new devargs?

--
Gaëtan Rivet
6WIND