[dpdk-users] Using memzone for sharing memory

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Tue May 8 15:07:44 CEST 2018

> On May 6, 2018, at 7:04 AM, hom.sepanta at gmail.com wrote:
>
> Hi everyone. I was wondering if the virtual address of memzones remains the
> same across different processes. The memzone docs mention the same physical
> address is returned but there is no mention of the virtual address. A
> little bit of testing makes it look like that the virtual address is also
> the same, but I can't be sure about that.

Normally the virtual address of memory shared between to processes could be different it just depends on the kernel and other factors.

> The interesting thing about this for me is that if the same virtual address
> is always returned, I could store and share complex data structures with
> internal pointers in a memzone.

I have seen this to be true, but you can not count on the fact for all cases.

> Does this sound possible? If using memzones is not the correct approach for
> this, could you suggest another course of action?

You have to use offsets in the shared memory or some other method to determine the correct virtual address in each process.

> Cheers,
> Mostafa

Regards,
Keith