[dpdk-users] Difference between APP and LIB

Filip Janiszewski contact at filipjaniszewski.com
Thu May 24 15:34:47 CEST 2018

Hi,

I've a weird situation: If I build my code using rte.app.mk, then
calling rte_eal_init and rte_eth_dev_count returns the proper amount of
NICs.

The very same code built with rte.lib.mk into a *.a library does not
recognize any NIC (If I include the lib in another test application that
only invoke one function that trigger rte_eal_init and rte_eth_dev_count).

The output of running rte_eal_init with rte.app.mk on my machine is:

.
EAL: Detected 8 lcore(s)
EAL: Multi-process socket /var/run/.rte_unix
EAL: Probing VFIO support...
EAL: PCI device 0000:06:00.0 on NUMA socket -1
EAL:   Invalid NUMA socket, default to 0
EAL:   probe driver: 15b3:1015 net_mlx5
PMD: net_mlx5: PCI information matches, using device "mlx5_0" (SR-IOV:
false)
PMD: net_mlx5: 1 port(s) detected
PMD: net_mlx5: MPS is enabled
PMD: net_mlx5: Reserved UAR address space: 0x7f0680000000
PMD: net_mlx5: port 1 MAC address is 7c:fe:90:5e:79:fa
EAL: PCI device 0000:06:00.1 on NUMA socket -1
EAL:   Invalid NUMA socket, default to 0
EAL:   probe driver: 15b3:1015 net_mlx5
PMD: net_mlx5: PCI information matches, using device "mlx5_1" (SR-IOV:
false)
PMD: net_mlx5: 1 port(s) detected
PMD: net_mlx5: MPS is enabled
PMD: net_mlx5: port 1 MAC address is 7c:fe:90:5e:79:fb
.

While the same invocation with the code built using rte.lib.mk generate
this output:

.
EAL: Detected 8 lcore(s)
EAL: Multi-process socket /var/run/.rte_unix
EAL: Probing VFIO support...
.

That's all -no more prints-, it seems that nothing else is done by the
eal init function. What could be the problem here? As a background note:
I'm trying to move my existing DPDK code into a lib, and this is already
failing at the first step (eal init).

Thanks

--
BR, Filip