[dpdk-dev] No probed ethernet devices /DPDP 1.7.1 in Fedora 21

sothy shan sothy.e98 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 09:01:13 CET 2014

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Neil Horman <nhorman at tuxdriver.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 10:11:51AM +0100, sothy shan wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Neil Horman <nhorman at tuxdriver.com>
> wrote:

> > > The dpdk ivshmem build assumes the presence of ivshmem devices as
> plumbed
> > > by
> > > qemu virtual guests.  If you don't have a qemu guest running dpdk won't
> > > find any
> > > shared memory devices, which is exactly what you are seeing.  That
> said,
> > > even if
> > > you are running qemu guests, IIRC Fedora doesn't enable ivshmem because
> > > the code
> > > has some security and behavioral issues still I think.  You'll need to
> > > rebuild
> > > qemu to add support for it.
> > >

> > My understanding is that It is problem of enabling
> > CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB=y in make command, I am able to build target
> of
> > x86_64-ivshmem-linuxapp-gcc alone without shared_lib flag. I suspect an
> > error because of shared lib flag.
> >
> What exactly do you think that problem is?  You just said in your
> origional note that you are able to build the sdk and test apps without
> issue
> (with or without building them as DSO's).  The problem comes in when you
> run
> the app, and I expect you get the same error with both static and dynamic
> builds.
>
> The problem seems obvious to me.  DPDK cannot find any ivshmem devices on
> your
> system when it loads (look at the code in rte_eal_ivshmem_init).  The error
> message you see gets output if you don't generate an ivshmem_config, which
> happens (among a few other reasons), if you don't have any ivshmem devices
> created on your system
>
> Neil

Do you have any hints for these messsages?

EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
  Cause: No probed ethernet devices - check that
CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_IGB_PMD=y and that CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_EM_PMD=y and that
CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_IXGBE_PMD=y in your configuration file

Is that with IVSHMEM device or physical devices? I guess it is physical
device problem?

Thank you

Sothy