[dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/5] virtio support for container

Pavel Fedin p.fedin at samsung.com
Thu Dec 31 10:40:01 CET 2015

 Hello!

> First of all, when you say openvswitch, are you referring to ovs-dpdk?

 I am referring to mainline ovs, compiled with dpdk, and using userspace dataplane.
 AFAIK ovs-dpdk is early Intel fork, which is abandoned at the moment.

> And can you detail your test case? Like, how do you want ovs_on_host and ovs_in_container to
> be connected?
> Through two-direct-connected physical NICs, or one vhost port in ovs_on_host and one virtio
> port in ovs_in_container?

 vhost port. i. e.

LOCAL------dpdkvhostuser<----+---->cvio----->LOCAL
      ovs                    |          ovs

                host         |        container

 By this time i advanced in my research. ovs not only crashes by itself, but manages to crash host side. It does this by doing
reconfiguration sequence without sending VHOST_USER_SET_MEM_TABLE, therefore host-side ovs tries to refer old addresses and dies
badly.
 Those messages about memory pool already being present are perhaps OK.

Kind regards,
Pavel Fedin
Expert Engineer
Samsung Electronics Research center Russia