[dpdk-dev] ixgbe vector mode not working.

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Wed Feb 25 08:36:51 CET 2015

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 04:55:09 +0000
"Liang, Cunming" <cunming.liang at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> I tried on the latest mater branch with testpmd.
> 2 rxq and 2 txq as below, vector pmd on both rx and tx. I can't reproduced it.
> I checked your log, on tx side, it looks the tx vector haven't enabled. (it shows vpmd on rx, spmd on tx).
> Would you help to share the below params in your app ?
> 	RX desc=128 - RX free threshold=32
> 	TX desc=512 - TX free threshold=32
> 	TX RS bit threshold=32 - TXQ flags=0xf01
> As in your case which using 2 rxq and 1 txq, would you explain the traffic flow between them.
> One thread polling packets from each rxq and send to the specified txq ?

Basic thread model of application is same as examples/qos_sched.

On ixgbe:
	RX desc = 4000 - RX free threshold=32
	TX desc = 512  - TX free threshold=0 so driver sets default of 32

I was setting rx/tx conf but since examples don't went away from that.

The whole RX/TX tuning parameters are a very poor programming model only
a hardware engineer could love. Requiring the application to look at
driver string and choose the magic parameter settings, is in my opnion
an indication of using incorrect abstraction.