[dpdk-dev] Making rte_eal_pci_probe() in rte_eal_init() optional?

Don Provan dprovan at bivio.net
Fri Nov 13 23:58:04 CET 2015

--no-pci is cool. I'm pretty sure that wasn't there when the PCI scan was first added to
the library init routine. I'm glad to see it, so thanks for pointing it out.

Just for the record: The comment says, "for debug purposes, PCI can be disabled".
This exhibits one of those classic DPDK blindspots. The library can be used for many
things entirely unrelated to hardware. My project has several DPDK applications
intended to be used by users that do not have privs to mess around with PCI
hardware, so, for them, turning off PCI wouldn't be just for debugging purposes.

-don provan
dprovan at bivio.net