[dpdk-stable] Stable Tree coming to life

Yuanhan Liu yuanhan.liu at linux.intel.com
Mon Sep 26 14:09:49 CEST 2016

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:16:26AM +0200, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> Hi,
> first of all thank you all so much. It is great to see the stable tree
> finally getting patches.

Right, sorry for that: I should have done that a bit earlier. It's the
first trial, it took a bit time to think about what could be a more proper
way to do it.

> I wanted to clarify one thing though. I know it was discussed initially but
> I haven't found the consensus and it didn't get to a doc file that I'd have
> found either.
>
> Will the stable tree just hold a continues series of fixes on top of DPDK
> (16.07 in the current case)?
> Or will there be "releases" of the stable tree which are considered more
> tested?
> Like releasing 16.07.1 along 16.11 or such?

Following is something you want to know? (the "About releases" section)

    http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-September/046189.html

About testing, short answer: no dedicated test plan *yet*. But judging
that I just pick patches from master branch, and the validation team
here does testing for each release. That would somehow implies the
quality a bit.

Meanwhile, I will try to ask if the validation could provide some dedicated
testing help. They're willing to offer help before.

Last, it'd also be great if distributions like canonical could do some tests.
The validation team here, for sure, can't cover all cases; otherwise, there
would be no reason for stable release.

We could make it more solid with more testing from more people.

And (likely one week) before each stable release, I will send the applied patch
list out, for asking more reviews as well as tests. After that, I will make
a release.

Am I missing something?

	--yliu