[dpdk-stable] Stable Tree coming to life

Mcnamara, John john.mcnamara at intel.com
Tue Sep 27 11:05:55 CEST 2016

Hi,

The latest draft of the Stable/LTS doc is here:

    http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-July/044848.html

> Will the stable tree just hold a continues series of fixes on top of DPDK
> (16.07 in the current case)?
> Or will there be "releases" of the stable tree which are considered more
> tested?
> Like releasing 16.07.1 along 16.11 or such?

The parts about Testing and Releasing are reproduced here:

Testing
-------

Stable and LTS releases should be tested before release/tagging.

Intel will provide validation engineers to test the 16.07 Stable Release and
the initial LTS tree. Other community members should provide testing for other
stable releases.

The validation will consist of compilation testing on the range of OSes
supported by the master release and functional/performance testing on the
current major/LTS release of the following OSes:

* Ubuntu
* RHEL
* SuSE
* FreeBSD

Releasing
---------

A Stable Release will be released by:

* Tagging the release with YY.MM.nn (year, month, number) or similar.
* Uploading a tarball of the release to dpdk.org.
* Sending an announcement to the <announce at dpdk.org> list.