[dpdk-users] mbuf free cnt not decreasing

Andriy Berestovskyy aber at semihalf.com
Fri Apr 15 15:01:23 CEST 2016

Hi Javier,
Please see below.

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Javier Coleto Fernández
<javicoleto44 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem I'm facing is my mbuf free count (as given by
> rte_mempool_free_count()) keeps increasing and tops at ~8130. Being 8192
> the size of the mempool, that stops the packet processing and my
> application stops forwarding.

Try rte_ring_count(mempool->ring) instead of rte_mempool_free_count().
The latter adds cached mbufs, hence might be the difference 8192 vs
8130.

> Any clues about what I could do to liberate the free mbufs back to the
> mempool?

Try to increase the number of mbufs in the mempool. There might be two cases:
1. For whatever mempool size you always lack mbufs -> it is an mbuf
leak, so you have to find and fix it.

2. Number of free mbufs stabilizes at some point -> you could either
increase the mempool size to accommodate that usage or reduce the
caches/descriptors/thresholds.

Andriy