[dpdk-users] Issues building dpdk with EXTRA_CFLAGS and EXTRA_LDFLAGS to profile RX misses on x86 architecture

Ali Hmaity ali.hmaity at polimi.it
Mon Dec 11 15:17:35 CET 2017

Hello all,

I've trying to build dpdk 17.11 and linking it to vtune_amplifier_xe_2017 to profile some sample applications. I followed the tutorial step by step but I'am stuck here:

Then rebuild DPDK, specifying paths to the ITT header and library, which can be found in any VTune Amplifier distribution in the include and lib directories respectively:

make EXTRA_CFLAGS=-I<path to ittnotify.h> \
     EXTRA_LDLIBS="-L<path to libittnotify.a> -littnotify"

Here what I did so far.

I downloaded vtune_amplifer_xe_2017, installed it and changed the value for the variables

CONFIG_RTE_ETHDEV_RXTX_CALLBACKS=y

CONFIG_RTE_ETHDEV_PROFILE_ITT_WASTER_RX_ITERATIONS=y

both in  config/common_base  and in build/.config

Successively, I issued the following commands in CL:

make EXTRA_CFLAGS=- I /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2017/include/ittnotify.h \ EXTRA_LDLIBS="-L /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2017/lib64/libittnotify.a  -littnotify"

I get an error when compiling a library which uses ittnotify.h, sarying "Fatal error: ittnotify.h: No such file or directory"

Can someone please indicate it how to issue the make command? Or is there an alternative way to include CFLAGS and LDLIBS?

Thank you for you help

__Hmaity