[dpdk-users] bug: pktgen-dpdk leaves terminal in abnormal state, no text or cursor

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Tue Jun 27 23:17:56 CEST 2017

> On Jun 27, 2017, at 1:23 PM, McCullough, Harrison <harrison_mccullough at labs.att.com> wrote:
>
> When I start pktgen-dpdk just like the example in the documentation, like this:
>
> ./test_pmd -c 0x3 -n 2
>
> And then quit by typing 'quit' or 'Ctrl-x' and hitting enter, my terminal is
> left in a very abnormal state. I can see my PS1 showing up but the cursor does
> not move and text does not appear when I type. At first I assumed it was frozen,
> but eventually I discovered that my commands were working and I could see the
> output of commands, but the text that I type doesn't show up.

Yes, normally do not run pktgen using the command line format, but I use the ./tools/run.py or ./tools/run.sh.

The run.py python script is the newer script and it uses .cfg files in the ./cfg directory to execute pktgen with the correct options. The run.sh script needs to be edited to run the correct options. I would suggest using the run.py script as in:

$ ./tools/run.py default

And yes pktgen needs to be fixed to not leave the tty in a funny state. I hope I can get to that later.

> If I use the `reset` command then everything goes back to normal.
>
> I am using PuTTY from Windows 7 to connect to a Ubuntu 14.04 server.

Regards,
Keith