[dpdk-users] Reg DPDK & PMD

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Wed Mar 8 15:55:57 CET 2017

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 7:29 AM, raman geetha gopalakrishnan <glowingsun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I have just rephrased by last question to understand
> 1. *what is preventing us from having a common PMD layer for all NICs and
> additional PMD specific to each NIC???*

We do have a common layer it is called the ethdev layer. The ethdev layer provides a common and generic API’s for the application to use and requires PMDs to register a set of function pointers to ethdev. These function pointers are common and generic to all of the PMDs. As for the PMDs it is impossible to have a cleaner solution unless every NIC is programmed in the same why. The two layer device model is used in just about all OS types like Linux, Windows, FreeBSD, … as this appears to be the best solution until you can get every vendor in the world to pick a single hardware interface.

> Thanks
> Raman

Regards,
Keith