[dpdk-users] Unable to launch testpmd with Mellanox ConnectX-3 Pro NIC

Adrien Mazarguil adrien.mazarguil at 6wind.com
Thu Jan 18 16:05:05 CET 2018

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 03:11:16PM +0300, Timur Bogdanov wrote:
> Yes, the problem was in this parameter and after changing it to "-1"
> testpmd application has been started successfully.
>
> BUT, it started successfully only on server where Mellanox OFED is installed.
>
> On  another server a rdma-core was installed from sources. (rpm's were
> built and installed)
> I also changed the value of log_num_mgm_entry_size parameter to "-1"
> and restarted a server (since where is no openibd service on this
> server) and got the same error.
> Maybe mlx4_core kernel module parameter should be changed in some
> other config file?

In case MLNX_OFED is *not* installed, do both rdma-core and kernel version
meet the minimum requirements?

- rdma-core v15
- Linux 4.14

Note while the above versions are fine for mlx5 (ConnectX-4, ConnectX-5),
they provide reduced performance and RSS capabilities for mlx4 (ConnectX-3),
for which I recommend to use at least:

- rdma-core v16
- Linux 4.15 (not released yet, 4.15-rc8 will do in the meantime)

> Anyway, I can also install and use OFED instead of RDMA but the RDMA
> is pointed as recommended on instructions page
> "http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/nics/mlx4.html" and it is interesting to
> bring it to working state.
> /Regards, Timur

rdma-core requires an up-to-date kernel. If this can't be satisfied,
MLNX_OFED is the only alternative (the mlnx-ofa_kernel package).

--
Adrien Mazarguil
6WIND